So... let's summarize what we have learned. Below are some Helpful Hints about FERPA.
To avoid violations of FERPA rules, DO NOT:
- Use the Social Security Number in a public posting. This would include the posting of grades or other student-specific or academic information that is considered confidential.
- Associate the name of a student with the student's social security number in any public manner.
- Leave graded tests, exams, or documents in which students are evaluated in a stack, allowing students to sort through the papers of all other students
- Circulate publicly among students and others a class list, sign-in sheet, or other such documents with student name and social security number
- Discuss the progress of any student with anyone other than the student (including parents) without the consent of the student
- Provide lists of students in classes or in specific academic programs to third parties for any commercial purposes. Please refer the requestor to the Office of the Registrar.
- Provide anyone other than university officials with information on how to locate or find a student on campus (e.g. student schedules).
For more information about FERPA, Student Privacy, or Student Records, contact the Office of the Registrar.