Job Title: Academic Advisor
Reports to: Registrar
The goal for each member of the campus community is to believe and live consistently by the principles of the mission of the University. The USW mission is as follows:
University of the Southwest is a Christ-centered educational community dedicated to developing men and women for a lifetime of servant leadership by emphasizing individual faith, responsibility, and initiative.
· Teaching at the University of the Southwest adheres to belief in God, in the Bible as the inspired Word of God, in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and in the separation of church and state.
· University of the Southwest strives for excellence in academic curriculum, campus life programming, and student activities in a supportive educational community where freedom of thought and expression is honored and the demonstration of faith in acts of service is encouraged.
· At University of the Southwest, students are instructed and mentored by a faculty and staff who demonstrate Christ-centered values and maintain an environment where students can live and work cooperatively, valuing the multiple cultures from which they come; and
· As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
The Academic Advisor serves under the Office of the Registrar to articulate university academic policies and procedures to new and returning students, provide academic advising to currently enrolled and prospective undergraduate students, assist new and current students in developing and maintaining a degree completion plan, facilitate resolution of student disputes, and to perform other duties as assigned.
1. Provide initial academic review for prospective undergraduate students
2. Make binding decisions regarding degree plans, evaluation of transcripts and credit transfers.
3. Assist new students in developing a Degree Completion Plan
4. Assist current students in maintaining and/or revising Degree Completion Plans
5. Regularly advise students regarding degree requirements and monitor student academic progress
6. Maintain the accuracy, integrity, and security of all student academic records
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Participates in campus activities
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong computer, organizational and communication skills
- Must be extremely student-friendly and display exemplary student services skills
- Must be highly organized
Please send your resume, letter of interest and three references or a completed USW application available in the Burke Administration Bldg. to: